My Sweeties

My Sweeties
My 3 Sweeties--David, Jack & Jill

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Modern day Knights

The world has always needed knights in shining armor to rescue damsels in distress. I had a shrink tell me one time that women didn't need that but it didn't take me real long to figure out that he didn't know what he was talking about. No, a woman in the 21st century doesn't have to have a man to make her complete. God can handle that just fine without any extra help. A woman today can do whatever she sets her mind to do and God is the only One she needs to help her. It's just that no one person can know how to do everything so when things come up that she can't do herself, it's nice to be able to call on a knight to come to the rescue.

A knight is a person who you can call at any time and he will stop what he's doing so he can go help you. (Actually, a woman could be a knight too but for this piece, I'm using the male gender.) Another quality of a knight is that he doesn't expect anything in return except maybe a thank you. He doesn't expect anything because he already knows that God is going to provide for his every need anyway and it's his job just to try to follow God's lead. That lead sometimes takes him to knight status.

I'm fortunate to have one of those knights living in my house. I'm married to him. I know that my younger sister, Mary, and my dear friend, Marian, would both grant him knighthood if they had the power. Mary has been a widow for 20 or so years and has called for help from our local knight numerous times. She's brought old, beat up lawn mowers by the house for him to fix. She's called for his help when water pipes broke. She's had him repair her car when they wouldn't run and she's taken him along to help pick out newer cars when she had the money to buy them and even when she didn't have the money. My dear friend, Marian, know that when she can't get her car to start at the park or along the side of the road that she can call and David will be Johnny on the Spot to take care of things. They both know that because that's what he does. In his quiet time, he asks God to show him who He wants him to help. God always shows him and David always tries to follow God's lead.

In the years when I was still in the classroom, David would come to school to help a lot of second graders. He helped them load trailers with newspapers and magazines to be recycled. He helped them cart out pet food they had collected for animal shelters, and he build a reading loft for them to enjoy as they read. He never considered himself a teacher to them. He said that was my job. But he did teach them by the example of a man that he showed them when he came into our classroom to help.

My knight in shining armor has always been available to help when anyone needed help. He has helped many widows we know from church, women stranded in parking lots, young people who have needed a variety of types of help and even little kids who he has cleaned up after. If it was times of distress, he was available to help. If it was times when assistance was needed, he was available. He was never a knight to fight windmills and maybe not even dragons, but he has always been one to give help when and where needed, whether it involved his doing physical work or just providing emotional or financial support when needed.

Knights today don't have to kill dragons, fight off black knights, or swim moats. Knights today have to be available when help is needed just like they did when they ran around with King Arthur. They just don't wear suits of armor and shining helmets. Sometimes they wear coveralls or blue jeans but they still are available and searching for those who God shows them that need a little extra help.

1 comment:

  1. Just let me echo the value of the knight who lives in your house, Judy. If it weren't for David there are so many things I would never have been able to get done. He certainlly helped me pick out many cars, repair them when needed, and he has also helped me financially when I needed it. God looks down on men like David and smiles. I look up.

    ReplyDelete