My Sweeties

My Sweeties
My 3 Sweeties--David, Jack & Jill

Friday, July 24, 2015

Another Good Samaritan

Here is another story that I wrote for this year's street camp in Galveston. This is another one of the good Samaritan story written for children.

As with any of my stories, you have my permission to use this however you feel it will be helpful in working with children. Please do not put anyone else's name on the story. While it didn't cost me anything to write the story, it did take my time, effort and thoughts.

The Parable of the Good Samaritan Luke 10

The scripture is copied and pasted from www.biblegateway.com
25 On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”
26 “What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?”
27 He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’[c]; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[d]”
28 “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.”
29 But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”
30 In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side.32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two denarii[e] and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’
36 “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”
37 The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.”
Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”

Who is your neighbor? written by Judy Johnson

Ask the children, “Who is my neighbor?” Allow them time to reply. Then ask, “Are people that live in Houston your neighbor? How about me? I live in _______________. Am I your neighbor? I'm going to tell you a story that Jesus told about who our neighbor is.”

One day, a man that we will call Daniel was traveling to another town. Now back in those days they didn't have cars like we do today so most people had to walk everywhere they went. Now Daniel had been walking for quit a while and he was probably tired already so he was walking a little slower. All of a sudden, 5 robbers jumped out from behind some rocks and started attacking Daniel. They were beating him up pretty badly and had knocked him out. They stole all of his clothes and all of his money. They took everything Daniel had and left him lying in the ditch to die.

Later Preacher Bob was walking down the same road. The robbers had already left. Preacher Bob could see that there was something bloody in the ditch up ahead. He looked and saw that it was a man. “Oh, no,” Preacher Bob said. “I can't take the time to do anything about this. I've got to be a my church in time for our church dinner. Besides, I don't know anything about medicine anyway. I couldn't do anything to help him.” Preacher Bob walked across to the other side of the road so that he wouldn't have to look to closely at how bad Daniel was hurt.

Next, Lawyer Johnson was walking down the same road. He could see that there was someone in the ditch that was hurt. “Oh, no,” said Lawyer Johnson. “ I've got to hurry. I have to be at the court house by 11 o'clock. I don't have time to do anything for him. Besides, I'm a lawyer, not a doctor!” Lawyer Johnson walked across the road to the other side so that he wouldn't have to look at poor Daniel laying in the ditch bleeding.


Even later, a man named Sam was walking down the road. Sam was from another country called Samaria. He hadn't been this way before and didn't really know anyone in this country. He saw Daniel laying in the ditch and Sam felt sorry for him. He knew that if he were laying somewhere knocked out and bleeding, that he hoped someone would stop and help him. So Sam stopped so see what he could do for Daniel. Sam didn't have a lot of things with him but he did have a donkey that he would ride when he was tired of walking. Sam picked Daniel up very carefully and laid him across the back of the donkey. Sam walked with Daniel on his donkey for a little ways until he saw an inn where he could stay for the night. He took Daniel to a room and washed his cuts and let him sleep in the bed overnight. The next morning, Sam told the owner of the inn, Simon, that he was going to leave Daniel there. He asked Simon to take care of him and feed him until Daniel was well enough to travel on is own. Sam gave Simon all the money that he had saved for his trip to use to take care of Daniel. He told Simon, “ I'm traveling to the next town to get a job. After I work for a while, I will come back here to see how Daniel is doing. When I come back, I will pay you whatever extra it cost to take care of Daniel.”

Which of these three people, Preacher Bob, Lawyer Johnson, or Sam from another country, do you think was a neighbor to Daniel, who had been robbed and beat up?”

Let the children respond on what they think about their neighbors. Explain how Sam, the foreigner, showed mercy on Daniel. Tell the children how much God loves us and how He showed mercy on us when He sent His son, Jesus, to die on the cross for us.


No comments:

Post a Comment