My Sweeties

My Sweeties
My 3 Sweeties--David, Jack & Jill

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Calm in the Storm

Psalms 107:23-30 NKJ
23 Those who go down to the sea in ships,
Who do business on great waters,
24 They see the works of the LORD,
And His wonders in the deep.
25 For He commands and raises the stormy wind,
Which lifts up the waves of the sea.
26 They mount up to the heavens,
They go down again to the depths;
Their soul melts because of trouble.
27 They reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man,
And are at their wits’ end.
28 Then they cry out to the LORD in their trouble,
And He brings them out of their distresses.
29 He calms the storm,
So that its waves are still.
30 Then they are glad because they are quiet;
So He guides them to their desired haven.
Verse 29 Amplified29He hushes the storm to a calm and to a gentle whisper, so that the waves of the sea are still.

This past week Cheri’s family had a lot all at once. Thirteen month old Logan had swallowed a penny and it lodged in his esophagus for 4 days. He to be taken to the ER and the doctors decided surgery was necessary to remove it. Then they were concerned that Logan might have a hole in his esophagus so that was another concern. In the meantime, Logan’s mommy, Daphene, was in labor and delivery giving birth to Logan’s new brother, Eli. Well, Eli was breech so there was more reason to worry with an emergency C-section. It seems like a lot for one family to have to endure at once but they did. Logan is home with his daddy Rick and grandma Cheri and Eli will be home soon with his mommy and the whole family.
It can make one wonder how a family can survive so much at one time. When we look at the scripture in Psalms 107:23-30, we can see who is in charge. The Lord God “commands and raises the stormy wind.: He is the One who is ultimately in charge in difficult times. He doesn’t cause all of our problems but He is still the One in charge. And He is the One who brings us out of our distress--our times of trouble, our problems and worries. Just as Jesus calmed the storm on the Sea of Galilee in Matthew 8,
He calms the waves of the storms in our lives. Cheri’s family knew they could trust the doctors at our hospital but more importantly, they knew that they could trust Jesus to “guide them to their desired haven.”
When I look at the abuses of my childhood, I know that God didn’t make these men make the bad choices to sexually abuse my sisters and I. That was Satan’s doing. But it still happened and I had to deal with the results of that for a long time. While I didn’t feel I could trust my earthly father, I knew I could trust my Jesus. There have been many storms in my life. Jesus never promised that we would not have storms, He just promised that He would always be with us. Jesus has always been with me in the times of high winds and waves and in the depths of my personal seas. Jesus has calmed the waves for me and has led me to my desired haven. Look to Him and He will lead you also to your desired haven.

No comments:

Post a Comment