My Sweeties

My Sweeties
My 3 Sweeties--David, Jack & Jill

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Release from captivity

There are so many forms of captivity in this world. Usually when we think about captivity in a church setting, we think of the Israelites being held captive in Egypt or Babylon. Something along that line. We might also think of slavery in any of its many forms, like prior to the Civil War in our own country or we might see programs on TV about human trafficking or forms of captivity in third world countries. We don’t often think about the captivity that some of us feel inside who we are. Captivity that may have come because of a childhood of abuse.

Actually, a childhood of abuse teaches a person many things. It teaches you that the people who are supposed to love you can’t be trusted. It teaches you that there are very few safe places in the world. In fact, the only safe places are the places that no one else knows about-- the hidden, secret places. It teaches you that there is a lot of pain in the world. It teaches you that if you shut up, be quiet and don’t cause any problems that maybe, just maybe, you might not be noticed. If you’re not noticed, maybe they will forget about you and you won’t be hurt again.

I was sexually abused from the time I was 6 years old until after I was 15. The abuse occurred for about 9 years. The captivity lasted for over 40 years. The first abuse was by a family friend we called Uncle Charlie and, later by my own father. I got my drivers license when I was 15. I had an old 1954 Ford station wagon that I called Granny Goodwitch. (that was from a commercial that was popular at the time) With Granny Goodwitch I had some freedom. Mother was very active in volunteer work and was gone at least one evening a week and often on weekends. I learned how to always have school or church activities that I drove myself to when she wasn’t home. If I was home with just Daddy, then he would take me to his bed. I don’t know where my brothers and sisters were during this time (there were 6 of us) but I learned how to volunteer for activities early.

God has had His plans for each one of us from before time began. Jeremiah 29:11 tells us “For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.” Sometimes when we’re going through the problems, it’s hard to see that God really does have a plan for us. You think, “how could a loving God have planned for any kind of child abuse?” God doesn’t plan that. He gives each person the freedom to make his own choices. A few verses further He tells us about more of his plan when He says “And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart. I will be found by you, says the Lord, and I will bring you back from your captivity.” “and I will bring you back from your captivity.” I was held captive for so many years by my memories, self doubts and negative thoughts. It took a long time for me to allow Jesus to release me from my captivity. Come back next week, and I will share with you about how Jesus and the Christians that He put in my life helped to teach me about unconditional love and how that unconditional love truely released me from my captivity.

No comments:

Post a Comment